1. Respond to at least one other post.
  2. In an online discussion post of 200–300 words, respond to the following:
  • How does Peggy McIntosh’s revelation of her privilege relate to the institutionalized discrimination of Aboriginal Canadians as depicted in Jane Elliot’s workshop?
  • How is it that even “nice” Canadians tolerate racism towards Aboriginal peoples?

(p. 31, Mcintosh, P.) I have come to se white privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets which I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was ‘meant’ to remain oblivious.

I began to count the ways in which I enjoy unearned skin privilege and have been conditioned into oblivion about its existence. My schooling gave me no training in seeing myself as an oppressor, as an unfairly advantaged person, or as a participant in a damaged culture. I was taught to see myself as an individual whose moral state depended on her individual moral will.

McIntosh, P. (1990). White privilege: Unpacking the invisible knapsack. Independent School, 49, 31–35.

(p. 34)

“Such privilege simply confers dominance because of one’s race or sex.”

“I want, then, to distinguish between earned strength and unearned power conferred systematically. Power from unearned privilege can look like strength when it is in fact permission to escape or to dominate.”

“Ideally it is an unearned advantage and conferred dominance.”

p.35

“Individual acts can palliate, but cannot end, these problems.”

“It seems to me that obliviousness about white advantage, like obliviousness about male advantage, is kept strongly inculturated in the United States so as to maintain the myth of meritocracy the myth that democratic choice is equally available to all. Keeping most people unaware that freedom of confident action is there for just a small number of people props up those in power, and serves to keep power in the hands of the same groups that have most of it already.”

Bordieu

Habitus

Capital

Bourdieu—Simple Explanation

Ghosh and Abdi build an argument for a new educational paradigm in which multiculturalism is informed by critical pedagogy in which difference is harnessed as “a creative force rather than treating it as a deficiency” (p. 42).

Jane Elliot’s video: https://barabus.tru.ca/med/educ5041/educ5041_indecentlyexposed.html Pyle, N. (2015).

This teacher taught his class a powerful lesson about privilege. Retrieved from http://www.buzzfeed.com/nathanwpyle/this-teacher-taught-his-class-a-powerful-lesson-about-privil#.lceDPGk9D.